LOCAL Anesthesia ONLY
- You may eat and drink as usual.
- You may drive yourself to and from our office and do not need to be accompanied by a family member or friend.
- Unless otherwise directed by our staff, take all of your normal daily medications as prescribed.
INTRAVENOUS (I.V.) Anesthesia
- Please do not eat or drink anything (even water) for six (6) hours before your surgery. Failure to follow this instruction may result in the cancellation and rescheduling of your procedure.
- If you take daily medications, our doctors or nursing staff will provide special instructions for you.
- A responsible adult must accompany you to the office, remain in the office during your procedure, and drive you home.
- A parent or legal guardian must always accompany patients under the age of 18 years.
- Please refrain from smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as far in advance of your procedure as possible.
- Please wear low-heeled shoes (no flip-flops or sandals) and loose fitting clothing with sleeves that can be rolled up past the elbows.
- Contact lenses, jewelry (including lip and tongue piercings), and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a head or chest cold, fever, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office as soon as possible before surgery. Your procedure may need to be rescheduled.
- Do not drive a vehicle, operate any machinery, or undertake any important matters for 24 hours following your anesthesia experience.
- You should plan on resting the remainder of the day following your surgery. Someone should be available to check on you throughout the day and provide assistance at night, if necessary.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions regarding your planned anesthesia or surgery.